Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16, 2010

I have been sending notes to friends around the country about the state of my ankle and what is coming next. So most of you already know that I am going to have my right lower limb amputated in the next few weeks. I thought I would run a blog about it - rather like a diary - to keep track of this process for myself and so that friends and colleagues who are interested could periodically check in and see what is going on with this significant event. I put a chronology together for my new doc, that goes back to shattering the ankle and breaking the tibia and fibula in 1988. I'll post that when I get a few minutes, but for now I want to go back to seeing the doc last week - and getting up to this afternoon.

Monday, March 8 - returned from a long weekend away with my Santa Fe Women's Group. It was our 11th year of gathering, and this year we gathered in Austin TX. Good friends, fun, food, some exploration. A great long weekend.

Monday, March 9 - saw a new orthopedist. Had been waiting for this appointment since October. New x-ray of ankle area. It is a disaster. Nothing holding foot to leg. In effect, the foot is slip-sliding away. Options are (a) a high risk ankle fusion - may not heal. If it does, mobility is limited - and it is four months of no weight bearing or (b) amputation of the lower part of the limb and then a prosthesis. Approximately six weeks until I walk again. Improved mobility. Reduction of pain. Was told to go home and think about it. I didn't think there was much to think aboutl

Monday, March 9 and Tuesday March 10. Checked in with daughter and son, Julie and James. Neither were surprised and both agreed I should go for the amputation. Decided I needed a therapist to process this with and a personal traineer to get body in shape prior to surgery, more time on crutches, etc.

March 10. Went to a Women's Group from church and told friends. Much support.

March 11. Went to a quilting group lunch and reported there too. Again, much support. On way back from group stopped at health club, talked to a personal trainer, and made a date for Monday.

March 12. We are up to Friday now. Saw Kathleen, therapist. She sent me home with an interesting to-do. I am seeing her again this afternoon.

Either Thursday or Friday evening, Calvin called. He is an amputee and we made a date for coffee for Tuesday morning (this morning - and will report on that in next post).

And I went about the business of living during this time while trying to figure out what I have to finish before I put myself back in the hospital again and come out with a different body configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment