Friday, March 26, 2010

March 26, 2010

Woke up this morning thinking about the foot and ankle. Wondered if I should just ignore it or if I should treat it as if it was in hospice care. Thought about not cutting the toenails as they would be tossed in three and a half weeks anyway. Decided hospice care was the better model. So, I will pay attention to the toes and put cream on the leg and treat it well in its last four weeks.

Saw my therapist just a bit ago and we talked about what happens to the leg after it is cut off. I am NOT bringing it home with me, even if the powers that be would let me. But some ceremony is justified, and probably necessary (for me and for some of my family - my daughter, a couple of the grandkids). So perhaps we bury the brace and the sneakers that I am wearing and plant a tree over the burial site and then say a prayer or sing a couple of songs. I would like to cremate the brace and sneakers as the surrogate leg, but burning this material might be difficult.

When talking about the prosthetic today, I found myself saying, "When I get my REAL leg". That caught me by surprise. I like it though!! So, when I get my real leg, I am going to do more digging in my garden and I am planning my first trip - to the Oregon and Washington coast. When there last, I was not able to walk very much. This time I plan on doing a lot more walking.

Now I will work on the quilt top that is part of the master class I am taking, and then make chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment