Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18, 2010

Seems I have my schedule intact, finally. Went to the gym this morning and worked with the personal trainer. He is convinced I will be in shape pre-surgery. Let me tell you a bit about this guy. He is not one of the "kid" trainers - he is about 40 years old. He looks like a wrestler, big strong body, shaved head, two earrings. So today I found out that he was a weight lifter and holds some world records in some of the presses. But even more interesting, he is an Elvis impersonator. He has a gig this weekend. And in the summer he is really busy in the south doing Elvis impersonations. He practices his singing while he rides his stationary bike at home. I am meeting some really interesting people.

About the ankle, I wear this firm ankle brace all of the time during the day and take it off to sleep. When I don't have it on, I am very unstable. Last night when I got up to go to the bathroom, I was convinced that I felt the foot slipping further off the leg. I have taken to using at least one crutch most of the time when I am ambulating, simply to keep the weight off the leg and to keep the leg and the foot together for a few more weeks. I am going to UIUC next week and to Penn State in three weeks to finish my work (except by phone) for this academic year, and I want to keep myself together for those jobs.

Then I have some interesting quilting things happening that I don't want to miss. I am taking a quilting master class (in Finleyville - about 40 minutes from home) and I would like to get to at least two more sessions of that class (meets bi-weekly) and a quilter/fabric designer of renown, Lucy Prior Lucy is talking in Finleyville in four weeks, and I would like to go hear her.

So, I have done the body stuff for today and been to my church women's group. We had a most interesting speaker there, an anthropologist talking about sex and gender. All sorts of new information for me. And now I am going to do my head stuff - seeing therapist - bringing pictures of me as a younger person.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment