Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 27, 2010

Provided that kindly hospice care to the foot and ankle and leg this morning. Toe-nail clippers, foot cream, moisture lotion. And while I was at it, I took care of the leg that will remain too. Have to remember that that part also needs attention.

So here is the thinking that has to be done. These replacement limbs are really high technology - really bionic. You can cover such a limb with a cosmetic covering that looks like its partner limb (or so they say), or you can simply leave it looking bionic. The cosmetic covering does not come off the high technology components; it becomes part of the package. You can get a cosmetic covering for the foot - and you need that to wear shoes - or you can get the covering for the whole thing. My current sense is that if you have a bionic part - you should show it off - not cover it up. So, my leaning is to leave this wonderful titanium body part uncovered, uncosmetized. (How do you like that word?) Mostly it won't show because I wear long pants in my daily existence. But I would get to see it as it really is and I would get to show it off now and then.

As I'm working through things, I'm not quite sure that I am finished with this one.

And that quilt I went to work on last nite - and will get back to for a little bit right now. Tried three times before I got one small piece right. And I have do do thirty-six pieces exactly like it. It's complex. I suspect that's why the call the class a "master class".

Will take grandchildren (some of them) to the movies for the 11:3o am show. Off to see Tim Burton's version of Alice

2 comments:

  1. Annie,
    Two women in my spinning class have replacement legs/feet. One of them went the bionic way and she wears bike shorts. Looks fine and works great. She spins better than most of us. The other woman went with the cosmetic covering that includes polished toe nails that are a perfect match for her other foot. She also wears bike shorts and dons cute sandals for work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    My first husband lost his leg near the hip joint and had one of the early versions of a bionic leg (hydraulic knee) -- this was in 1967. It was a long leg, as he was 6'5" and short-waisted! It was a great conversation piece -- no cosmetic covering. Our 3-year-old son had seen his great-grandmother take her teeth out, his great-aunt take her hair (wig) off and his father take his leg off -- he seemed to think people's parts were like that. We take these things in stride (literally) . . . just as you are and will. Prayers and love, Susan.

    ReplyDelete