Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I've been a bit dingy for the last day. I did see my new friend Calvin yesterday. We met for coffee in Panera's and he showed me his leg and his prosthesis and we talked about how this thing worked. Calvin is a young man (37) and when he is walking you have no idea he has a bionic lower right leg. He drives his car with this leg - using his left foot for braking. I can do that - I am driving now with a brace that keeps my foot and ankle together and with just about no feeling in the extremity. It's the braking I am worried about because in the Prius, the brake is not easy to manage with the left foot. (I have driven with a left foot gas pedal using my left foot to also brake in past episodes with my foot. My friend Bob might remember what it is like driving a car with a left foot gas pedal when no one told him it is there!!). It really helped me to meet with Calvin and have some more understanding of what life is like post amputation.

But then, I had a date with therapist yesterday - I thought it was at 3pm, but it was at noon. Blew that one. This morning I thought I had a date with trainer at gym, and got up and got there and that appointment is tomorrow. And I thought my church women's group met this morning, so got myself there (after doing some work on stationary bike) and they were't there. I do have a calendar someplace and I have all of this stuff in it. It would be good if I looked at it. So, now I am going to find it. It seems like I'm a bit ditzy right now. Have to get my head back together - be at the right place at the right time - get the stuff done that needs to be done.

2 comments:

  1. I have a Prius and I always drive with my left on the brake and right on the accelerator. I developed the habit after leaving the manual clutch for an automatic. I used to worry that I was doing a bad thing (leftovers from driver's ed or parents), but I happened to hear someone ask about it on Click and Clack on NPR one day. They declared a two-foot approach to be just fine, and perhaps, even superior in response time to the one foot method. I now feel vindicated and smug about it. So go, girl - I know it will work for you and we can start a trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim got a giggle out of your accounting of misplaced appointments - we resemble that remark ;-)

    ReplyDelete