Thursday, April 1, 2010

April 1, 2010

If my dad was alive, he would be celebrating his 102nd birthday today. Wonder what he would think about all of this foot and ankle and leg stuff.

I've been too busy the last few days. Managed to overbook my days and evenings and that means the pain level is up at the end of the day and the desire to do any walking at all is way down. So, today, with an afternoon free, I have simply popped myself on the bed and vacillated between reading a novel, looking at a beautiful new quilt book, and napping.

I had my pre-op physical yesterday and all systems are go. It is now less than three weeks before the distressed foot and ankle and lower leg are no longer a part of me. I have invited a few special folks to spend time with me between the removal of the leg and the acquisition of my new leg. (Note - the removal of "the leg" and the acquisition of "my new leg". This is about letting go of the old and making the new a part of me. Sometimes I'm deliberate about this and other times it is just happening). Once I have the prosthetic, I think that seeing folks will be easy. I am still uncomfortable about the time I will be spending without a leg.

I talked to my doctor who did the implant in December 2008 today. He reinforced the need to amputate telling me that with fusions (which would be the other maybe option), 5% result in amputations without the distress that my leg is experiencing. He also said that it could be up to an eight month recovery process versus the six weeks recovery I am looking at. And at 74, I am not willing to spend another eight months recovering from a high risk procedure. So, that's two docs really supporting the decision to amputate.

My neighbors magnolia - the one I can see from my kitchen window is about to bloom. A friends whom I visited today, has a star magnolia in her front yard that is covered with those wonderful starry flowers. My weeping plums are maybe 10 days away from full bloom, and I am having truckloads of mulch spread in my garden next week. On a trip to Home Depot with son, James, I bought three rhododendrum (spelling?) and a pot of ranunculas. Don't know where I am going to put the rhododendrum but they are so close to blooming, that I couldn't resist them. Front garden should be pretty grand this year. Back garden has to wait until big dog moves out with son and family. That seems to be about a week away. Perhaps when I am home with new leg I can begin to renovate the back.

And yet this week, taxes need to be finished and easter eggs need to be colored. Will hide them for Pittsburgh grandchildren to search for on Sunday morning (actually will put son at that task). Even fourteen year olds like searching for easter eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment