Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30, 4pm

I've worked hard today, but returned to my room to another beautiful gift, a pot of live, hot, hot pink calla lilly from my friends at MOR Associates. It was a good day already and this just made it better. The weather is beautiful in Pittsburgh right now. Sunshine, temperature in high 70's. After my morning workout I took myself outside with book and dropped Nevada Barr on ground as I fell asleep in chair in dappled shade and light breeze.

Was doing side leg lifts in PT this afternoon on raised mat and began to get some sense of where residual limb lives on my body. As I raised it and then brought it down, it touched left leg many times, but, of course, it only touched part of left leg. Interesting sensation. A really important learning is to develop a brain sense of where this limb ends. I keep talking to the phantom foot and telling it to go away. I don't want to be misled by it again, and I don't want to keep sending electrical signals to it. Here is the 7pm yesterday haiku to my brain about this:

There is nothing down there
You can stop sending signals
They go to nowhere

Cafeteria stops serving supper at 5:30. Way too early for my comfort. I have been the last one in practically all week. I think I make it hard for the staff. Will try to be a little earlier tonight, like 5:20pm.

And I am trying to get a group of folks together after dinner to play bananagrams. (A scrabble type of word game, but faster and easier - no score keeping). Not sure there is interest. Maybe I'll just pop myself at a table in the common area and start building words and see if anyone comes along.

Weekends are quiet here. I think I have managed to have enough to do. And now, back to Nevada Barr.

No comments:

Post a Comment