Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010, 6:30 am

What a difference a day makes. I am lying in bed looking out my window through the trees at the sunrise. So, now I know that my room is facing east. The room has a window view of the woods and I asked the aid last night to please not close the blinds. She thought that was a bit strange but said okay. Another aid came by later and tried to close the blinds. Again, I said "please don't". And now I can watch the glorious morning coming towards me.

I wanted to share yesterday mornings haiku with you first off. Whoops, I thought it was saved in a sticky note, but I can't find it. It went something like this:

Thirty minutes too long
To wait for help with bedpan
Wet bed imminent

That was yesterday. I thought I pushed nurses call button at 5:45. It was 6:25 before I saw anyone, and that was because they came for my room mate. Turns out I didn't have the call button on. Not sure how that could be, but the nurse showed me where the indicator was in the room, and mine wasn't on.

This problem has been solved multiple ways. I can now transfer from bed to wheelchair, and from wheelchair to the real toilet. I can also transfer from bed to bedside potty. And I can roll that wheelchair down the halls rather rapidly. Took myself to dinner in the dining room last evening.

Creamed chicken on toast
Am I really eating that
I wish I was not

Fortunately folks have arrived with some goodies. My son arrived with a can of almond roca. How does he remember stuff like that. That was my favorite candy of his childhood. Other friends have arrived with cookies. There is always fruit available in the cafeteria. And I'm sure for breakfast that cereal and yogurt will be there.

And here's another story;

No room mate, thank you
Just my own noises at night
I like it alone

First off, at 74, I am one of the youngest people here. And I probably have one of the most active minds of all the patients here. Helen, I imagine, is in her 80s. Her mind does not work well. She is here because she keeps falling and breaking bones. So, every time she tries to get out of bed there is a huge buzzer that goes off (sounds like a fire house buzzer) to let her and everyone else know that she is trying to get out of bed. And besides not taking responsibility for her behavior (I heard her talking to a nurse saying "don't blame me" - and I didn't hear anyone blaming her of anything), it seems to me she suffers from some kind of dementia. I thought that I would not want to be in the same room with Helen for ten days as I was trying to build strength and endurance and learn to move well without a leg. So, political correctness be darned, I asked why I was put in a room with Helen when it seemed to me there were lots of other spaces available. The secretary on the unit wanted to fuss with me and tell me I would have to pay for a private room, etc, etc. Along came a charge nurse and said "Of course you can move, Annie". So, I moved next door to a room where, at the moment, it is just me. No guarantee that I won't get another Helen type roommate, or something equally as challenging. This place is full of folks like Helen. But at least for now, I am by myself with the morning sunshine smiling at me. (Helen's claxon just went off. I can hear it from my room next door. She'll be rescued soon).

Yesteday was an extraordinarily busy day. I was visited by physical therapists, occupational therapists, respiratory therapists, administrators, medical doctors, and a plethora of nurses - a meds nurse (who visited several times during the day), a wound nurse, my nurse of the day, and others. I was left in bed most of the morning while we waited for "my" wheelchair to arrive. I needed a chair with a raised platform for the residual limb. In the meantime, "my" physical therapist worked with me in my bed. When wheel chair arrived I was promptly shown how to transfer to it, and I gained mobility. I was also expected to be at PT and OT on a schedule and from dinner on, to take my meals in the dining hall. Works for me!! My schedule today is, OT before breakfast to be sure I am able to dress myself. Then off to the dining hall. PT at 9 am, OT at 10 am, then a break then more PT at 1pm. Then I guess I am on my own for the day. I know the wound nurse will be by some time this morning (my cast fell off yesterday - so my limb is wrapped differently and now he can see the wound), and I imagine some of the docs or residents will pop in.

My occupational therapist, Lana, is a student (accompanied by the OT manager) who is in her last couple of weeks of her program at Chatham University (practically around the block from my house - well - 5 minutes by car). She is a beautiful woman from Russia. In Russia, she was a TV producer. She said that when she came to this country she didn't know how to find a mentor, someone to help her in the business, so she is changing her life. This is one smart babe. I like her a lot. Son, James, was here when I was doing OT, and he found that he and she are the same age - birthdays maybe ten days apart. They both look much younger than their 42 years.

Bautiful flowers arrived yesterday from Santa Fe Women. Sunflowers and lilies and iris and roses and some airy green and white blossoms. It's elegant and funky at the same time. I arrived back in my "new" room to find it on my extra bed side stand - right across from my bed so when I am not looking out the window, I can look at the flowers. Thank you much SFW friends.

It's time to start my day. People are popping in my room, one after the other. First a nurse to take my blood pressure. Now a nurse to do an EKG. Maybe more later today.

3 comments:

  1. Vivid descriptions
    Flowing through the computer
    Annie brave and strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. 74? Really! You're an even bigger hero to me now... I never would have guessed that number, I was off by 4 years! You're remarkable... Good to chat with you this AM, glad you're doing well and healing up. Look forward to making arrangements to see you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the single room sounds like a really good idea. And it sounds as though Helen can have a wide choice of other roommates whose minds work about as well as hers, and who won't mind the claxon going off all day and night. Good for you! Did it last? Pat

    ReplyDelete