Friday, April 30, 2010

April 30, 7pm

Friends-

I just went through the postings to my blog. Lots of new ones, even on older entries. One favor - end with your name please. I'm not sure I can connect all the e-mail addresses with names. And I decided that I like the return postings, so please, keep it up, but preferably on the most current entries only.

And some of you may be reading about the mirror therapy. (Pat I just read your blog post, and I have been asking about this). My physical therapy folks have been reading about it too, but have not yet but it to work. And they don't know enough to do that. I need to do a little reading about this myself. In the meantime, I will keep telling the brain to stop sending the signals, but part of the process is simply rebuilding of the neurological pathways in the RL (residual limb) so that the new pathways take over.

No haiku at the moment, but I think the appropriate ending for this evening is "Go Penguins". (I just bought a new childrens book about penguins - And Tango Makes Three - two male penguins sharing a nest and raising an egg the zookeeper put in the nest after he watched them bringing in rocks to sit on. Probably different penguins than the "Go Penguins".

4 comments:

  1. Hi Annie, glad to see you are doing well and getting on with your road to recovery. We are quite busy right now, going live with Google Apps this weekend for new Fall 2010 undergrads! Sorry, I have not written until now, but I have been thinking of you and will continue to keep you in my thoughts.
    Tracy Tolliver, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, I think the New Yorker article was by Atul Gawande. I wonder if he's got anything on the internet about the mirror. Do they have a full-length mirror, like in the bathroom or on the back of a closet door, where you could try this yourself? Pat Schuetz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penguins hatching rocks
    What is the world coming to?
    Charm and whimsy - yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirror Therapy has been described in medical literature to be of benefit to 80% of users, but like all therapies dose not always show immediate results. The rate and amount of recovery much depends on the extent of the damage, and the intensity and duration of the therapy you receive. Recovery also is likely to be influenced by personality, life experiences and coping styles. Motivation to recover is a key factor in obtaining an optimal level of rehabilitation. Mirror Therapy is use for CRPS/RSD and rehabilitation after a stroke or injury. A good sauce of info is www.mirrorboxtherapy.com

    ReplyDelete