Saturday, April 17, 2010

April 17, 2010

I think I write best in the early morning, and this morning I couldn't find my glasses (knocked them off the night stand during the night), was preoccupied with the search, and didn't do my morning blog post. So, I'll try now.

We had a going away party for the foot/leg/ankle yesterday evening. Local friends from different parts of my life came to say good by to the foot and cheer me on. Lots of food, lots of good conversation, a demonstration and a bit of playing of a real hurdy-gurdy by friend Andrew (who also did a bit of throat singing). And daughter, Julie did a picture of me and associated pictures of new leg options. You could pin on the leg of your choice. It was a hoot. Julie promises to make it available for posting on facebook and perhaps on this blog. She said she would work on it tomorrow.

I did a quick run today for new underpants and a new pair of pajamas. Not sure what to pack for a week to ten days in rehab post op, but I figure underpants and pajamas are a good idea. Will call the rehab folks on Monday and get more clear about that. Also bought a pair of sneakers that fit the foot I am keeping. I am wearing men's sneakers about two sizes larger than my real size right now, as that is what the brace fits in. But, after today, there are only three days left with the brace. Then I put the "kept" foot in a shoe that fits it and have one shoe ready for the new foot too.

Walking has gotten progressively more and more difficult with the distressed foot/ankle. At this point in the progression, I am reluctant to step down on the foot without the brace on unless I am using two crutches. It simply feels as if it will not hold me. With the brace, I can walk a bit without aid - from the car to the house, around the house. But any further than that, I use one crutch all of the time and two crutches if I am going further than half a block.

I started a new list this morning of all the "to-do's" mostly for Monday and Tuesday. I always have a list if I am leaving for a week or more, so that's not new. What is new is that there is stuff on the list I will be unable to do for at least six weeks. Do for myself that is. I have to remember that doesn't mean that it won't get done. I can and will ask for the help I need.

I'm gonna go fix myself a steak and a sweet potato and a salad - in my kitchen - a kitchen I am not sharing with anyone else right now. I like that. Then I will have some of the great burnt almond torte that friend, Carrie brought to the party last night. I am so glad there is some left.

Surgery is Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment