Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday, April 12

I'm home this week with a list of things to get done before I can't do much of anything for about six weeks. I started the day working on the list - which included submitting an activity report for the IT leaders work I am doing. That's done. List includes items such as:

Plumbing - That's about getting a supplement to the shower head in the bathroom that let's you move the head up and down and also has the extension that lets you take it off the move up and down pole and use it where you want it. I figure that a shower chair (which I have) and that kind of shower head capability would be a good thing to come home to and to have for the rest of my life. At the same time, I would like to talk to the plumber about doing something so the gas meter can be read outside of the house.

Find living will and power of attorney - Those documents are around here someplace, but this orthopedist and this hospital don't have them. I'll do a search for them later today or tomorrow morning.

Paint - I want the three upstairs bedrooms painted before I come home from hospital. Actually, I want them painted before I go, but not sure I can manage that. Bought the paint for the "guest room" - mostly grandkids room - yesterday - a very pale yellow gold. Need the room empty - maybe by the end of the week? That's the long story about my son and family living with me this past 14 months. I think I have selected the color for the other room, the room that will again be my sewing room. I'm doing it a gray. Do you have any idea how many shades of gray there are? So, I can get that paint in the next day or two. James and family have paint that will work in my room. Seems they bought a five gallon can of something. Lovely warm salmon color. Not too different than what I have. It will work fine. Issue is whether we can get this all done in the next six days.

Lite fixture - Another story, but let it be said that the list goes on, and I am working through it - as well as adding to it.

I did plant some perennials in the garden this morning. Any trip to a place where there are plants is a place I can't leave without some. Put in some creeping phlox where I would put my lobelia. Creeping phlox is a perennial, and over the next couple of years, I think i will get it all along my stone fence, and then won't have to do two flats of lobelia each spring. Can do the lobelia selectively.

I am so aware of how much shorter my right leg is than my left - at least it feels that way. Really the leg is the same length it has always been. It is just that it is much closer to the earth because it is sitting off to the side of the foot and the ankle. Pretty weird, huh?

My daughter thinks we should have a good-by party for the the foot/ankle/leg, so we are doing it this Friday evening. And when I get the new leg, we will throw another party, bury the brace, plant a tree, and dance.

1 comment:

  1. Annie,
    As you know, I've spent the greater part of my UW-Madison career working with and caring about people with disabilities (physical and beyond).

    Today, I came across an inspirational webcast, and thought about you - hoping you will also benefit from the incredible possibilities ...


    http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_the_emotion_behind_invention.html

    Soldiers who've lost limbs in service face a daily struggle unimaginable to most of us. At TEDMED, Dean Kamen talks about the profound people and stories that motivated his work to give parts of their lives back with his design for a remarkable prosthetic arm.

    About Dean Kamen
    Dean Kamen landed in the limelight with the Segway, but he has been innovating since high school, with more than 150 patents under his belt. Recent projects include portable energy and water…


    Alice Anderson
    TECHNOLOGY ACCESSIBILITY PROGRAM
    Division of Information Technology (DoIT)
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    1210 West Dayton Street (3124)
    Madison, WI 53706

    ReplyDelete