Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 7, 2010

Two weeks from today is the day that the old leg goes away. I continue to be concerned about the time between the old leg and the new leg. I am so glad the rehab hospital will take care of me for the first seven to ten days. Folks have offered to come and be with me for the rest of the legless time, but I don't know how I feel about that. I am sure I will need the help, and I have almost zero tolerance for the sense of being without a leg and helpless. I guess I need to work that for a bit. I imagine someone smart would tell me that is what I have a therapist for.

Did a trek to Penn State this week. Drove up on Easter and came back yesterday. That's the last drive of any substance with this old leg and that's a good thing. I have less fine control with this leg than is really comfortable. Sometimes I find myself banging the brake ungracefully.

The time at PSU was good though. Folks there have the opportunity to sign up for leadership coaching time and/or to attend a peer coaching workshop. I've connected with some new folks as a result of this work and I have the chance to work with some of the folks I have worked with in the past. I really enjoy seeing folks having an "ah-ha" moment and then taking that to the next place. I'm off to University of Illinois (UIUC) later today to do the same kind of work.

And this will be the last plane ride before the bionic leg comes. I am use to the extra screening at the airport because of bionic body parts, but the new leg is really gonna be more bionic than I have been before. I imagine it's not a challenge for the TSA folks.

And today will be a rather mad day. I am going to start with a trip to the gym, even though my trainer, Jamie, won't be there today. It's been almost a week since I've been there and I imagine I can lose these new triceps rather quickly. Not a good thing right now. So, I had best get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment