Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14, 2010

It's countdown time. One week from today my leg is cut off about halfway between the knee and the ankle. Yuk!!! And yup, I have done everything I know to do about getting ready for this, but it is still scary. At some very gut level (and that is where I feel it), I don't like this at all. I know all about life being easier when I have the new leg and I truly am looking forward to that, but an elective procedure to have my leg cut off - eeeyyyyy.

And that's enough of my personal angst in this blog. Today will be a good day. The house being prepared for my son and his family received a certificate of occupancy yesterday. The family expects to sleep in it tonight. That means I get to reclaim my own home. It needs a lot of work to be "really mine" again, but I will start on that today. As the family empties out a room, I am hoping to walk behind them with a scrubbing brush and a paint brush. And if not me, then someone who is helping me.

And I am going to check out the old Kindle that I managed to acquire, figure out how to download some books that are on my reading list, and be ready to take that to early rehab with me. Don't want to have to figure it out when I am not thinking too well. Not sure I will find the Kindle at all as pleasurable as holding a book in my hand, but it could be a very compact library. I am known to travel around the country (and parts of the world) with half of my suitcase taken up with trash novels. Kindle could make leaving home much easier.

Met with Wendy, a care manager, yesterday. Wendy will work with me about getting a hospital bed downstairs, being sure my preferred discharge orders from acute care are in place, and getting folks in to provide me personal care for time when I am home without a leg. One hunk of stuff moved to someone else' competent hands.

It's early Wednesday morning. Youngest grandson has not yet left for school. I have a good thirty minutes to read in bed before I have to be urgent about starting the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment