Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 16, 2010

Distressed foot is gone
But it's ghost is haunting me
Begone ghost! Begone!

And other than that, I am doing amazingly well. I'm quite competent in this wheelchair. Tool around the house easily, and out into the yard. Feeling stronger and more secure with walker. Took chair to front door (pushing walker in front of chair), then moved from chair to walker so I could get out on front porch. Sat in rocker on porch and looked at my beautiful front garden for a while. Azaleas and rhodies are still in bloom. Other plants are looking happy. Chives look quite strong. In back yard, peonies are about to bloom.

And besides enjoying my garden, I am enjoying the company that is coming by. Quilting friends, friends from church (First Unitarian), and long time friends keep coming by with food and flowers and good conversation. And a subscription to Netflix. Thank you all!!

This morning daughter took me to church and a quick stop at Qdoba with two grandchildren for lunch. Yesterday, daughter Julie and I took all grandchildren (five of them) to see Robin Hood. Expected to see merry men. It was not a very merry movie - lots of villages being burned, men being beheaded and horses suffering horrible injuries. Probably should have gone to Iron Man Two instead.

Today, since church, I am hanging around keeping leg elevated and seeing if that does anything to minimize pain. Doesn't seem to. So, I might as well keep tooling around. I am back to doc in about ten days - and at that time, if pain is still a problem, I will do some more thinking about alternative treatment. (Current treatment is an occasional pain pill - the occasion being bedtime so the pain doesn't keep me awake). And there is no pain in Daisy - all pain is in the bottom of the ghost foot.

Took my weekly shower today and getting up and down stairs on butt was much easier than last week. I am assuming that means two things - I am smarter about it and stronger about it. And while upstairs, I used walker to check out rest of upstairs, get some other clothes from closet, made a list in my head about work to be done upstairs. Hate to bother son and daughter as both are about to their a--es in alligators with huge life changing stuff in front of them and much to do to be ready. And they do give me their time and their love. Maybe I need to let some of the "to-do" stuff on that list go - and just try to get the minimum done until I am mobile, ready to organize my stuff, and maybe even wield a paint brush.

Daisy is shrinking. And wound looks like it is healing very well - even with its 33 staples. Hopefully that means Daisy will be unstapled and ready for a shrinker (instead of the ace bandages I wrap her with daily) once I see the doc in ten days. And maybe I'll get some news about when we can begin fitting the prosthesis.

Ghost, begone, begone!
Get out of my life right now
I've got things to do.

1 comment:

  1. Annie: Just learned of your trials, which it seems you are working through like the trooper you have always been. A colleague here at Iowa passed the news to me along with a pointer to your blog, so I've been reading about all you have gone through. Here's hoping that everything continues to go well and that the future is wonderful for you. All my best--
    Bill Decker

    ReplyDelete