Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 22, 2010

A quick note about phantom pain and the ghost foot. The pain was getting worse an d lasting longer. I really didn't want to spend the day in bed on pain pills and I hate to be a wimp about pain, but I decided it was time to do something. I had been trying to wait until this coming Tuesday when I see the orthopod again. Decided waiting was too valorous - that it was time to make a call. So, I called the orthopod's office.

Orthopod's fellow called back and said that I did not want to wait to manage phantom pain. He asked if I had nerve pain prior to the surgery, and I said "yup - that I thought I was stretching the nerves unmercifully as the foot was moving off the leg - and that was the cause". He agreed that I was probably right, and said that phantom pain was usually worse if there was nerve pain prior to the surgery. He also said that you don't want to wait to treat it - as you want to interrupt the nerve energy before the neural patterns set in and then become very hard to interrupt. The surgeon's proposed solution was to increase dosage of neurotin - if my pcp agreed.

So, being a good citizen this week, I called the pcp's office (primary care physician - the new buzz word for "your regular doc", and got agreement to increase the neurotin. I am moving from 1800 mg a day to 2700 a day for now. I understand that you can go to 3600 mg with minimum risk. The primary side effect is drowsiness, and I seem to be doing okay on the 2700. The pain has not gone away, but it is feels less destructive to the ghost foot. Maybe a couple of days at this level will decrease it even more. I'll see.

I talked to a friend who's stepmom had an amputation and she reported that her stepmom had phantom pain for somewhere between 8-12 weeks. So, for her, it went away I am hoping that I follow the same model.

And beyond the pain, my friend, Beth, has arrived from Rochester NY. It is good to have her here. I had hoped we could go to Phipps Conservatory and look at the gardens - but it is raining right now - not the best time to roll around in a garden. So, instead, we are gonna watch a movie on my great big TV (all of a sudden, I like watching TV- this big screen is grand), and eat chocolates. A box of chocolates from one of the best chocolatiers in this country - Candinas in Madison WI, arrived the day before yesterday. Sent by two of my dear Madison quilting friends. The advisory on the box is "eat within ten days". I shared a bit with daughter and family this morning, but Beth and I will enjoy most of the rest while we watch a movie on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment