Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May 4, 2010, 6:45 am

It has been another morning with a beautiful sunrise. I have watched trees achieve definition through this wall of windows facing east. The sky has been pink through the trees. Now the sun is appearing as a very bright diamond orb through the trees. I will miss this morning view.

Yesterday was last day of all sorts of stuff at this place. OT had me ironing (test of balance). PT had me getting on and off the floor. I was gifted with a pair of wheel chair driving gloves, and I think they are hot. I am the only old lady in the place tooling down the hallway at top speed with my wheelchair driving gloves.

And I got a new wheelchair. It is mine to keep. Not a racing chair - darn - , but light weight, low arms that easily rotate to the back so you can go armless. I don't have it moving as quickly as the old chair I had been using and that is both good and bad.

Other thing I did yesterday was "desensitize" Daisy. That is about rubbing the end of the limb with rough towels - making it a bit less responsive to stimulus - part of getting it ready for prosthetic.

One of the docs, saying good by to me yesterday, said it was nice to have someone who was intellectual to talk with. Then he bit his tongue. But I'm with him. Easier to connect with professional staff than with other patients. Elitism running at its best.

This morning at 10 am I have appointment with bone doc. Will he remove the staples? I don't know. Folks here say the wound area looks good - no more leakage - nice scar line. I will report on that later.

Time to pack my stuff
Wash, dress, be ready to go
Return in three weeks

I'll know more about whether that's really three weeks or 2+ weeks or more in a couple of hours. So, more this evening.

3 comments:

  1. Annie,

    I'm so glad that you're progressing well. I fully understand that patience thing (or lack thereof). An of course a positive attitude will get you through a lot.

    Best wishes on getting Daisy in shape!

    -- Neal
    (Penn State)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anne:

    I've been following your blog and I am delighted that you are doing so well. After you have a couple of days to adjust, I will call you and see if you are up to some company soon. (You know, you might consider writing a book about your experiences . . . your description of the sunrise was wonderful.)

    Mary Schinhofen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisy! How sweet! Forty years ago we had a beagle named Daisy. I have to say she was not a very satisfactory dog, but she was cute. Take care. Hope the outing was great.

    Pat Schuetz

    ReplyDelete