Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 19, 2010

I voted yesterday - in Pennsylvania - so I participated in this important electoral process. Son came and collected me around 9 am - we used my car (first time in it - and it was very easy to get in and out of) took car to service station to put air in tires - for some reason they were very low, and then went to fire station at local borough hall to vote. While there was an access ramp, the folks inside rolled up the doors that the fire trucks roll out of so that I had most easy access. And after doing my civic duty, I took son for breakfast. Our first stop was a place right in my neighborhood which turned out to be not accessible. So, we went to my favorite large diner, Drew's, very accessible and a breakfast menu that goes on and on. Worked for James and for me.

Today I finally got back to the quilting stuff. I had received a new quilting book from my MOR Associates friends that provided inspiration to work with little pieces of fabric in a less than structured way. I am finding that I can do that - ironing board set at sitting height - cutting doesn't need to be precise, and I have used my left foot for the sewing machine pedal since 1988. I have twelve blocks started. I will keep building these blocks and see what happens.

Daughter, Julie, is leaving with her two children for Ann Arbor in the morning where grandson, Liam, will compete in the Waldorf School fifth grade regional pentathalon with his class. Waldorf Schools fifth grade curriculum focuses on ancient Greece and fifth grade classes do this each year. Julie has been fostering my dog, Rags, since son, James, and family moved in with me more than a year ago. It didn't make any sense to send Rags home when I was heading to the hospital, but Rags came home today with Moose, Julie's dog, and they will both spend a couple of days here. I have a doggie door that they use, so I figure we will all be fine together. Moose is a combination of a German shorthaired pointer and another German hunting dog - name of which is not in my head at the moment. He is six years old and hyper. Rags is a four year old cock-a-poo and is a thief - he puts his nose into all sorts of places and takes stuff from wherever he has stuck that nose of his. It will be a bit more active in the house than it has been since I have come home.

Both of these dogs will be with me starting sometime in July for at least a year while Julie and kids join Kevin in Capetown for the year. I am hoping that I will be able to walk them in the park - maybe not the beginning of July, but by the end of August. One of my clear objectives has been to be able to take Rags for walks in Frick park. May need some help to walk the both of them for a few months - but I am going to work on meeting this objective.

New leg coming soon
Gait training for park walking
With dogs in the fall

(or should last line be
With dogs with no falls)

Chocolate has been arriving in my house. Yesterday it was handmade chocolates from the Pittsburgh Strip District. Today a neighbor brought a box of Belgium chocolates. Then in the mail, a box of chocolates from Candinas chocolates in Madison arrived. I am rationing all of these delights. And today one of those great fruit boxes also arrived - mostly pears, but other beautiful stuff. Had a pear with some chocolate just a little while ago. Believe that will be my supper. And thanks to all the givers of these great gifts.

Daisy continues to shrink. I see doc next Tuesday and will know a lot more about time frame for next set of activities after that visit (I hope). Phantom pain is moving a bit closer to bottom of residual limb. It's like the ghost foot is a bit closer to Daisy. But its still there. While I am not a fan of pain medicine, I am trying to get a prescription refill as this stuff does provide some relief.

Now, I am going to watch The Blind Side, that is the first of the netflix movies in my new subscription. That netflix subscription is a gift too. I am really being well cared for. And I have seen enough of Rand Paul on TV for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment